Friday, September 21, 2007



Saying Farewell

This is the last night for us on the East Coast together and we are sitting on the roof watching the sun set and thinking about how this particular phase of our time is also setting.

It really has been a tough few days as Alanna says goodbye and I say poitu varum ( I will go and come). Throughout this week though a few things have become very apparent. The first of these is that we have forged some great friendships here and we will deeply miss the staff and they us.

Secondly, their spirit of generosity and gratitude really is remarkable. This week has just been one generous extension after the next. We have luncheons, tea parties, meals, dedication ceremonies and a pile of gifts and clothes. Not sure how they all are going to get home but deeply appreciated all the same. It really has been quite overwhelming. I am convinced that Alanna has received so many new shirts and shalwars that she will not have to shop for clothes for at least a decade. (Ahh dream on).

Today a huge party was hosted at the house to honour us so about 100 Kg of rice aned curry with all the fixins was prepared by one of our small business beneficiaries. Mixed in with the great food was some touching speeches and buckets of tears. I am quite certain Alanna was thoroughly dehydrated by the end of the event. .

I look forward to our break in Nepal but am anxious to complete the work that we have started here.

Make it a great day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home