Barber Shop Shave
Well today you get to meet one of the people who provides me with one of my favourite services in Sri Lanka – a barber shop shave. The Samaritan’s Purse Livelihood team has helped about 25 barbers recover the livelihoods they lost in the tsunami. We have provided these shopkeepers with the basic tools to restart their businesses.
So I’d like you to meet this week’s barber - Joseph Jebamalai from the village of Thalankudah. This husband and father of two ran a small barber saloon. (they don’t call them salons which can cause a little confusion for donors who think they are sponsoring barbers you drink and cut hair) The 2004 tsunami struck and destroyed both his house and his shop. The first wave of the tsunami caused everyone to panic and run. Joseph tried to save his shop possessions and was struck by the second wave and was nearly drowned and the third wave sent him flying and broke his leg. Once he recovered Joseph tried to restart his business with the few items that he could salvage. Joeseph told us that people did not want to his dillapitated little tin saloon and so he was struggling to provide for his family. SP came along and noticed thr plight of this member of the untouchable class and we provided him with the basic tools to launch his business. In addition SP partnered with the owner to fix up the shop and we cemented over the loose tsunami rubble that had served as a floor. This new shop and tools have given Joseph the foundation to launch his business and support his family.
So once a week I take one of the guys from my team to go and visit one of the SP barbers. I get a shave while the tea
m visits and develops a stronger relationship with the barber. Why do I enjoy going to the barber so much? There are a pile of reasons but it really is more than the normal boring old man barber back home. Here you get a haircut, a straight razor shave, head massage, face massage and a chiropractic neck snap. All for less than a dollar!. I of course am a little skeptical of their chiropractic ability so I politely decline that part of the service. .
It really does become a bit of a dog and pony show while I am there. Usually the beneficiary is very nervous and takes way more care than necessary. I mean look at my hair style! In addition, a small throng of onlookers come to see the white guy getting trimmed. This becomes a significant social event and a real moment of pride for the barber. Really, just a whole lot of fun while we are helping people like Joseph out.
Make it a great day
3 Comments:
When Heather told me to check out your blog because you got a shave i thought: hmm, it is a warm country, could Scott actually be shaving his legs!
I am glad to see the barber has left your natural dazzling beauty intact. Great job on giving resources an dhope to these people. We appreciate what our Gracious Lord does for them through you.
JM
i love the straight blade shave. I got it in Cambodia a few times while I was there. They don't do it to much here cause of HIV and AIDS, understood I guess. Anyway, you look great all shaved and clean.
I think you should get the chiropractor treatment as well. It might do your neck some good.
Love MOM T
Post a Comment
<< Home