Monday, November 26, 2007

Religion? What is good for? Not a lot I would suggest.

But before I get into the serious stuff. Way to go RIDERS!! Yee Haaaaaw!!

Now onto other issues of state. This year I have been fortunate enough to attend Buddhist festivals, witness animistic practices, visit Hindu temples, Jada shrines, enter Buddhist monasteries and be blessed by Sadhus and cave dwelling 90 year old monks. However, I still think that religion is not worth a whole lot. I am certain that this blog may offend folks from all walks and faiths and isn't PC but let me explain.

This last week there were several key events that have left an impression on me. The first, was last Friday in the nearby militant Muslim community of Kathankudy. As we passed through the town we passed a large and fairly restive crowd. Later on in the day we discovered that the crowd was there to enforce Sharia law. A Muslim man and Tamil girl had been caught in adultery so the Tamil girl was kicked out of the community and the man was being publicly punished with 150 lashes!! Yeah that’s right. In the year 2007 people are being whipped 150 times in the public square for everyone to jeer, taunt and join in the bloodlust. I certainly do not condone adultery but how barbaric can you be? Has society not evolved a little from the days of Hammurabai? There I have offended the Muslims

Just prior to this event the local Buddhists had gathered together and the extremists (yes that is seemingly oxymoronic but true) were calling for Tamil blood to be spilled. This group of monks led a protest to suggest that the only way for peace in this country is through violence against the Tamil people. They also were inciting the Sinhalese people to violence, to take justice into their own hands, to purge the Island of Tamils and make it a pure Buddhist state. They went further to suggest that the government needed to set aside human rights to allow the state to conduct its raids and other affairs. So much for the notion of contemplative Buddhist practice. There I have offended my Buddhist friends.

On Saturday a mob of militant Hindus gathered to attack a local pastor and four church members. The pastor was hospitalized with an arm that was broken in three places and a fractured skull and the rest were stitched up and sent home. The rationale? That Christians should not be allowed to services in a church building and should not be openly practicing and expressing their beliefs. I thought Hinduism was supposed to be all accepting? And it didn’t matter what road you chose? There I have offended my Hindu friends.

What about the Christians? I probably don’t need to talk about that too much. I think we have about 2,000 years of bad history on our side where we twisted the historical teachings to fit our agendas. To suggest a few- crusades, inquisition, slavery, persecution of scientists, subjugation of women, environmental degradation, any number of wars etc. I am sure that will rile a few of my Christian friends.

So a few of my friends would suggest that this just proves their point that all religion is evil and only turns people against each other. My response; yes. Any faith radically followed to the point of fundamentalism and is only religiosity is dangerous. However, what is needed is a personal faith that actually adheres to the ancient writings. A faith that acknowledges it does not have all the answers, is not afraid to have open discussions and actually listens to opposing viewpoints. A faith that has a focus to redeem the individual, care for the poor, fight oppression, seek justice, protect the environment. Then it is not a religion it is a relationship, that's a Christ following faith. After all it was that kind of faith that brought us democracy, worker's rights, ended slavery, ignited the civil rights movement, and gave us health care and education. That is the kind of faith I want to be a part of.

Those are a few of my thoughts

Make it a great day

1 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Michael said...

I'm with ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home