Teachable Moments
I really am a teacher through and through and much of development work is teaching in an informal setting. I have been teaching my staff some essential (because I use them) English words or expressions. So I have taught them essential terms like schmoozing, weird, sustainable, authentic, butthead “Do you have ants in your pants?” , Saskatchewan, sounds good and a few other oddities.
So there comes key moments in teaching where the moment is ripe, perfect for a lesson or idea to be taught which must be seized and yesterday was such a day. All of the guys were over at the house and finishing lunch when one of the guys was just kind of laying on the couch. This position of vulnerability was the perfect moment to teach the quintesse
ntial word --- DOGPILE!! SO I quietly explained it and then all the team put the newly learned word into action.
(sorry no actual photo since I was in the middle of the pile)
The laughing and giggling at this new found wisdom was almost exactly what you would expect from a Junior high kid. Since then they have really put their learning into practice and have availed themselves of every possible opportunity. (So great to see people being excited by learning.) Of course, every dogpile is followed by gails of laughter, giggling. and animated commentary. .
For those of you not so well versed in the ways of Jr. High Ed you really should try out a dogpile with your group of friends. Grandma Brooks has been trying to get all the gals at the assisted care center to try it out and they seem to having a hoot.
Make it a Pile of a day
Scott

3 Comments:
I know Junior HIgh, and I know the Livelihood team...so this is easy to picture. All I'm wondering is who was the victim?
Scott,
So good to hear that you will be looking forward to putting your teaching skills back into Junior High action in Canada. I am praying that your infamy will not cross the many oceans and you will actually get a full time teaching job here. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Love,
Mom B
LOL!!! Some things never change, eh?!
Post a Comment
<< Home