Sunday, May 13, 2007

On being involved...

Scott and I are still in Colombo. It looks like we won't be moving back to the east coast any time soon, and maybe not even before the end of our contract. Scott has been promoted to deputy country director and is doing a great job filling the gaps and starting the help shape the vision for next year. You know how he loves shaping the vision. I'm technically still Base Manager and trying to help out two offices but finding it a bit difficult to be fully involved in either place. I'm good at thinking about one place at a time, and not so good at multi-locational multi-tasking!

Being in Colombo is so different than being in Batti. Out in Batti, people are simpler and friendlier and we can be more involved and feel more connected. That's where the projects are happening, that's where the majority of our staff is and where the action is. Those of you who know me well know that I like to be where the action is, I'm not very good at being a behind the scenes kind of person and I just feel much less "connected". I put that in quotes because it can be so overused and cliched lately, but for lack of a better word, that's how I feel.

So...here's my word of encouragement for you and for me. No matter where you are and what surrounds you, life is more fulfilling, engaging and definitely more fun, if you are connected and involved. That's going to be my goal now, to see if I can find a way to get more connected in the city, and not just busy for the sake of being busy. I'll let you know how it goes, and you can all think of creative and funny stories to email me about how being connected is better than being a drifter. But they have to be creative and funny, to make up for this post which was neither!

Cheers
Alanna

2 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alanna,

Just remember how great you felt that one time you connected in the two years of making you play T-ball.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Scott and Alanna said...

Yeah...that was awesome. I was pretty good at t ball. But I don't think I lasted more than a few months, or was that softball?
A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home