Saturday, April 14, 2007

Evacuation to Colombo


Well during our last blog Alanna told you that we had been evacuated to Colombo. During this time we were given a long weekend of R and R. The break really could not have come at a better time. We didn’t realize until the time off how much we were internalizing the conflict and the inert stress that had accumulated. It had become very normal for us to continue conversations as intense shelling took place from inside the city. During our time here we had accumulated skills that I never thought I would need. Such skills as the ability to discern the sound difference between mortars, artillery and multi-barrel rockets. Needless to say it was good to get some time away.


My folks were planning on visiting us but we decided that this was not the best time but Alanna and I decided to avail ourselves of the resort that we had booked for them. It was just what we needed, a couple of days of sleeping in and relaxing. The resort had kayaks that we used to go wave surfing for hours and hours or until Alanna’s puny little arms started to hurt. What a blast. I of course was the master surfer because of my raw athletic talent but Alanna struggled because of her general dislike of the outdoors.

The only down side is that in our surfing and crashing we both lost our wedding bands. I thought this meant I could start looking for a Sri Lankan girl but Alanna thinks it means we need new bands. Needless to say she won that argument.

Make it a great day.

2 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Blogger The Beys said...

How could you possibly BOTH lose your wedding bands at the same time? That's crazy! It sounds like you're taking it quite well though, can't say I'd be the same way:) Glad you had a fun break at the resort.

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, you could try playing musical chairs if you're looking for a Sri Lankan girl...I hear they just fall into your lap

 

Post a Comment

<< Home