When in
…do as the romans. When in 
Why do I always pick the hottest day to go to the market? The market here is very busy and crowded. Some of it is open air, some is in a building. I leave the house with my shopping basket and walk, no not walk exactly, I saunter to the market. We don’t really walk anywhere here, or certainly not the way we walked at home. It is so much hotter that you really can’t walk quickly, thus the sauntering, or moseying or strolling.
So by the time I saunter to the market place, I am starting to feel pretty warm and a little sweaty. I do my shopping, mostly for fruit and vegetables though today I bought eggs,
un-refrigerated of course. The egg seller gave them to me in a plastic bag and then dumped a bunch of grain into the bag to cushion them. Not a single broken egg when I got home and my friends here assure me that they never get sick from the eggs.
By the time I finish my shopping, my basket is heavy and I am sweating. Now I don’t mind sweat…I like to work my body outside, in the summer, but that’s exercise, this is grocery shopping! I bring along a bandana to wipe my face but I can’t really keep up.
By the time I start my walk home, I am really sweating and this is all while walking as slowly as possible.
Now contrast this to my shopping experience in
of me as slowly as I walk here, I would be tempted to ram them with my grocery cart. “Come on! I don’t have all day, I’m on a mission here!” Not so in Kalmunai, every seller wants to say hi (and wants me to come spend at their stall), so I greet everyone, and mosey along, buying oranges here, apples there, tiny red onions over on the other side and the small sweet bananas that I love at the end of the row. Then I head inside to my favourite stall to see if they have cucumbers or peppers or fresh mint. The only time I hurry is to avoid being run over by a trishaw. To those of you who’ve heard me complain about how I don’t like Superstore because its too disorganized and crowded… I’m guessing that won’t be quite so much of a problem for me anymore.
Today I had a couple of “helpers”, men who saw me and knew it meant a tip. They translated for me at stalls, helped me pick out the best produce and got their tip. I think one of them told me he lost his wife in the Tsunami, but I wasn’t really sure. The only word I understood for sure was Tsunami, which seems like a universal word. People often tell us their stories (which we don’t understand because they’re in Tamil) and once every so often, someone will yell something like; “Hi, NGO
Tsunami?” to us as we pass by. Hmmmm how do they know?
Anyway, once I finish my shopping in the store a few blocks from the market which sells milk, crackers, cereal (for some reason the only cereal available here is cornflakes) and other necessities like chocolate, I start the sauntering back home. All the while fighting my natural instincts to hurry home now that my shopping is done. (Walk fast, this bag is heavy…oh slow down, its so hot, I’m melting…)
Anyway, by the time I get home, I’m ready to melt into a little puddle, and my skin tastes salt, and I have to have a shower, but that’s my shopping day.

8 Comments:
I am e-mailing your blog entries to Grandma. She has a hard time getting them off of the internet. She mentioned that when she lived on the farm they used to make porridge out of the grain. You could maybe try it with the grain they packed the eggs in and make Scott some porridge. Porridge is always great on a nice cool morning.
Dad B
GO LIONS GO!!!
Pam from church said that she loves reading your blog entries. You have no idea how many people are interested in what you are doing and are being educated and entertained in the process. I have given your blog address to anyone who shows the slightest interest!
Love,
Mom B.
So I see you are enjoying your shopping expeditions!! Keep up the good work and enjoy yourselves for us!! Aunt Carol would love to be in your shoes right now!!
uncle Dave and aunt Carol
Ji. I.ve been reading your stuff .
Yes I would love to be there minus the rats and vermon . So close to India wow . Keep up the good work
I like your Mom Scott figure we would stay in a hotel with water. By the way do you have to boil the water or do you use tablets or buy it . Are you burned to a crisp yet
I'll say good night Love Aunt Carol
Wish I could be there to go "shopping" with you. Sounds like quite the experience:) Do women take their kids with them when they go too? Because I would think that watching out for your children plus carrying groceries in that heat would definitely NOT be the highlight of my day!! I guess they're used to it though. At least Superstore is air-conditioned:)
So, is Scott bummed because the Riders are finally winning now that he's out of the country?
Have a good week you guys!!!
The women at work would like to know how they get their clothes so white?
Alos, you misssed a good game yesterday Scott. The Riders played very well, although some of the refering was very poor.
Love Mom T
Awesome pictures! Markets are the best, no matter what country they are in!
Post a Comment
<< Home