The Multi-ethnic experience
One of the great things about being in a different country is getting to know people with a different perspective from you. I’ve learned that there are definitely more things that unite us than divide us as people, but a different culture, upbringing and context can really put a different spin on things.
A couple of example for you. I’ve been trying to get in better shape this year. I’ve never had such a sedentary job so I have to work to get my exercise, and I’m a little worried about going from a year at sea level and a desk job to trekking in Nepal so…trying to get in shape and lose about 10 pounds. (less on the body means I can take more in the pack! Hmmm, as I sit here typing with one hand and eating cake with the other…) So, I proudly told a co-worker that I’d lost 5 pounds and she looked at me with this worried expression and said “Oh no, what’s wrong? Are you sick?!” I started laughing thinking about the “normal” reaction back home when you tell any woman you’ve lost weight. (Good, for you! You look fantastic, how did you do it?_. So, different context eh?
And speaking of “”eh”…last night we were at a movie night hosted by the Italian Red Cross staff here in Batticaloa. Among the group were 1 Italian, 1 Bangladeshi, 1 Brazilian, 2 Dutch, 2 French, one Malay, and 3 Canadians! For some reason, the talk turned to Canada (ok I started it) and we suffered through abuse about Mounties and maple syrup and the West Edmonton Mall! (of all things to know about Canada, they know about the mall formerly known as the largest mall in the world. Ahh yes, come to Canada and celebrate our tribute to consumerism.)
I was really amazed at how much everyone loved making fun of Canada. I don’t know what it is, maybe because we’re good at mocking ourselves or maybe because we just laugh and apologize. But it was pretty funny. The other thing they were making fun of is how far away everything is but we all talk like its’ just around the corner. We were saying that they all should come and see and they could visit us and we lived near the mountains. And the French guy says “Doesn’t everyone in Canada live “near” the mountains? People always say that…I live near the mountains, it’s only an 8 hour drive!” Which of course in Europe would put you in a different country.
It was so fun to be sitting around listening to several different languages at once. Especially since Europeans tend to know more than one language, there was typically a conversation going on in English, one in French and one in Dutch. And yet, we could all be united in our mockery of those funny Canadians. Actually come to think of it we were all united in our mockery of Toronto!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home