Sunday, July 08, 2007

Low points

Hey there;

I know that generally we have attempted to keep the blog upbeat, humorous and have only added a dash of political reality. However, this is more of an honest, where are we at commentary. So if that does not interest and you prefer to press on I won’t be hurt.

As some of you know I (Scott) have really been struggling with a nasty bit of Eczema. Now initially you might think big whoop, you are bothered because your skin is no long perfect alabaster? That seems a little vain.

Unfortunately if that was all it was you would be right. For the last three months my skin rash has come and gone with varying degrees of nastiness. At best it is only mildly irritating and I only have a dozen sores that are bleeding. Other times are much worse. Friday was one of the lower points in my time here and dealing with this. Basically 85% of my body is covered in this evil, nasty hives like rash. With the rash comes an insatiable itchiness where it only feels good when my fingernails are actually shredding the skin. Of course the result is that everything opens up and my body becomes one big infection. Hopefully that is enough detail without making you toss your lunch. There are times when I have to ask Alanna to leave the room so she doesn’t have to witness my rabid scratching like some possessed animal.

Well basically on Friday I was getting overheated (40 degrees in the shade) and as we were eating lunch hundreds of black little mites or bugs started crawling all over my skin and into my sores. The eeeeeeww factor was large but more importantly this exacerbated the itchiness by a factor of 10!. There are very few times in life when I would say I was miserable or suffering but this would be one of them.

We are now in Colombo and have booked ourselves into a locale that has AC so I can take refuge from the heat. I have seen multiple dermatologists over the months and am hopped up on steroid cream (yes I am becoming even more muscular than before), anthihistamines, antibiotics and painkillers. A wonderful drug cocktail. Currently I am beginning to feel a little better as all my skin is shedding and the drugs and chemicals take effect. This has been the pattern for the last few months. I just hope and pray that we can get this thing under control.

Well those are the thoughts and reality for today. No pictures for this blog it would be similar to a disturbing photo you would see in a medical journal. Sorry none to peppy but…

Make it a great day

2 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well now I guess you won't have much to say about my cat now! Honestly, sorry to hear that you're such a wreck -

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger The Beys said...

That really, really sucks Scott. I'm no stranger to eczema myself and I can't imagine how it would feel to have it over the majority of your body. I feel for ya. You won't hear a sarcastic comment from me about this one:) I'll be praying your skin heals!
Rachelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home